This is an archived article and the information in the article may be out of date. Please look at the history’s timestamp to see when it was last updated.
SANTA MONICA, Calif .– Two grieving parents warn others of the dangers of social media after their 16-year-old son overdosed on Sunday after taking drugs he bought through another user on Snapchat, Nation Now reported.
Relationship expert and TV host Dr. Laura Berman and her husband Sam Chapman talk about their grief and the changes they want the platform to make to keep all teens safe.
Berman announced the death of his son Sammy on Facebook Sunday, claiming he overdosed in his bedroom after buying Xanax containing fentanyl from a drug dealer on Snapchat.
“My heart is completely broken and I don’t know how to keep breathing,” Berman said in a heartbreaking article.
In an interview with NewsNation on Wednesday, the couple said they only took things “one minute at a time, one breath at a time.”
Berman shared some details of his death, saying it happened Sunday at the Super Bowl and Sammy asked his father for a cheeseburger and was playing video games in his bedroom. About an hour later, she found him on the ground and unconscious.
“Sam started CPR while I called an ambulance. Paramedics tried for 30 minutes to resuscitate him and were unsuccessful, ”Berman told NewsNation.
Berman and Chapman and are now warning parents of the dangers of social media.
“I thought the worst thing that could happen on Snapchat was nude photos or saying something inappropriate or something like that,” Berman said. “I didn’t know there were drug dealers there.”
The couple describe Sammy as an amazing kid with great grades, big dreams, and incredibly sweet and funny.
“He was also a football player and had been stuck indoors in front of the computer screen for a year due to COVID. So when these social media platforms do the wrong thing, the COVID-19 pandemic puts a multiplier in it. And that’s what we’re dealing with right now, ”Chapman said.
Chapman said Snapchat must give parents access to their children’s photos and not dissolve them, and they must cooperate with law enforcement when a young person dies.
Snapchat said they were working with the Santa Monica Police Department as part of their investigation, to help locate the assailant.
Snapchat sent a statement saying:
“Our deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of Samuel Berman Chapman and we are saddened by his passing.
“We are committed to working with law enforcement in this case and in all cases where Snapchat is used for illegal purposes. We have zero tolerance for using Snapchat to buy or sell illegal drugs. Using Snapchat for illegal purposes is firmly against our community guidelines and we are committed to combating these violations. We are constantly improving our technological capabilities to detect drug-related activity so that we can intervene proactively. If you witness illegal behavior on Snapchat, please use our in-app tools to report it quickly and confidentially, so we can take action.
“We have no higher priority than keeping Snapchat in a safe environment and we will continue to invest in protecting our community.”
Opioid Dependence Resources
Suggest a correction