Robert linnehan | 9 hours ago
The Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Commission took action today to begin licensing three casinos for sports betting, a big step forward for the long-awaited launch of sports betting in Maryland.
The Horseshoe Casino in Baltimore, Live! The casino and hotel in Hanover and the MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill have all met the qualification requirements for the sports betting license. Applications for all three casinos will go to the Sports Betting Applications Review Board (SWARC), which is responsible for awarding licenses.
Sports betting in person in late fall?
The three casinos were among the 17 entities designed in the sports betting bill to conduct sports betting operations. In August, SWARC voted unanimously that MLGCC’s qualifying standards would be sufficient to award sports betting licenses to the 17 designated entities.
“We are delighted that these three candidates are approved and that we are channeling them to SWARC,” Maryland Lottery and Gaming Director John Martin said in a statement. “Our team is diligently implementing the sports betting law, and we are getting closer to the first in-person bets, which we hope will take place by the end of the fall.”
SWARC will then meet on Thursday, October 14, where licenses could potentially be awarded. The Maryland Lottery Gaming Control Agency (MLGCA) will ensure that all three entities have finalized their internal controls and other operational requirements before receiving the licenses.
All three casinos have entered into partnerships with qualified sports betting operators to manage their sports betting programs in person and online. The partnerships are as follows:
- Horseshoe Casino in Baltimore in partnership with Caesars.
- Live! Casino and hotel in Hanover in partnership with FanDuel.
- MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill has partnered with BetMGM.
No timeline for online sports betting has yet been set by Maryland officials.
Eligible Maryland Entities Listed in Bill
Here are the 17 entities listed in the Maryland Sports Betting Bill:
- Horseshoe Casino (License A-1)
- Live! Casino (License A-1)
- MGM (License A-1)
- Hollywood Casino (A-2 License)
- Ocean Downs Casino (License A-2)
- Rocky Gap Casino Resort (License A-2)
Professional sports stadium licenses
- Oriole Park (License A-1)
- M&T Bank Field (License A-1)
- FedEx Field (License A-1)
- Laurel Park and Pimlico Park (an A-2 license between them)
- Greenmount Station (License B)
- Le Jockey Bar and Grille (License B)
- Long Shot (License B)
- River boat on the Potomac (License B)
- Maryland State Fairgrounds (B license)
Commercial bingo halls (with at least 200 machines)
- Bingo world
- Rod ‘N’ Reel