Nevada GCB discusses Sightline’s proposal to self-verify identity online

0

Posted: Nov 20, 2021, 11:02 a.m.

Last update on: November 21, 2021, 12:11 p.m.

Nevada’s regulations regarding cashless gaming and other technical solutions could change thanks to a proposal from Sightline Payments that was the focus of a Nevada Gaming Control Board (NGCB) working session earlier this week.

Sightline Cashless Game
A simulation of Sightline’s Play + cashless gaming solution. Company officials on Thursday discussed a proposed Nevada Gaming Commission rule amendment that would allow users of the cashless app to verify their identity online. (Image: line of sight)

The Las Vegas-based financial technology company has presented a petition to amend Nevada Gaming Commission (NGC) Regulation 5.225 to allow users of cashless gaming accounts to verify their identity remotely.

Currently, Nevada regulations require anyone wishing to bet using a betting account to visit the establishment linked to the account and present valid government-issued identification to an employee. Sightline’s petition would allow account holders to verify their identity online through “knowledge-based digital authentication tools”.

For Sightline, according to comments from company executives at Thursday’s meeting, it would eliminate tedious and time-consuming regulation of a solution they operate for casino partners Boyd Gaming and Resorts World Las Vegas.

The company first submitted the proposed regulation in September 2020. It was re-filed this year to include language that addresses the scope of the proposal. Sightline General Counsel Jennifer Carleton told board members the changes made it clear that the changes would not apply to interactive betting accounts, like mobile sports betting apps.

NGCB staff members also looked into the topic and offered recommendations as well.

The board agreed to schedule a hearing on the proposed amendment at an upcoming NGCB meeting where members could take action, including whether to recommend it to the Gaming Commission.

Many new users wait for hours

When Resorts World Las Vegas held its grand opening, the $ 4.3 billion casino made headlines as the first major Strip attraction to open in a decade. What has also generated the buzz is the casino’s commitment to technological innovations. One of them, in particular, was the casino that pioneered allowing players and other visitors to go cashless using Sightline’s Play + mobile solution.

Sightline co-CEO Joe Pappano told NGCB members that there was “a slight difficulty” for customers to get and use the cashless gaming app.

Customers would sign up for a loyalty account at a Resorts World kiosk, ”Pappano said. “This loyal loyalty account could be loaded onto a player’s phone through the Resorts World app. The player could also activate the betting account through the same app, but the player cannot verify his identity according to the existing rules that exist today. A casino employee must personally verify the identity of the customer before they can fund a gaming account. “

As co-CEO Omer Sattar later explained, the registration process is only supposed to take a few minutes. However, due to the large turnout that Resorts World has attracted in the five months since it opened, queues for new users can have up to “hundreds of people” waiting to register. .

The best times reported by Resorts World were around six minutes, but delays of up to two hours are not uncommon, Sattar said, as customers had to fill out forms and hand them over to a worker, who must also perform steps.

He added that the experience was similar at Boyd’s Aliante Casino in North Las Vegas, although the actual delays were shorter as the casino didn’t have to deal with a rush as Resorts World has experienced on the Strip. .

Sightline and other gaming and cashless payment service companies have worked together, Sattar explained, to find a more efficient workflow that always ensures people are properly vetted and also gets them to the ground faster or in a bar or restaurant. Industry estimates the wait should be three minutes.

Sattar, however, didn’t seem to be guessing anything about the Resorts World launch, as he said it had been a success. But he was ready to show NGCB members video footage of his guests lining up long to pass without cash.

“We thank them for taking the plunge and being the first to market to launch this set of products and move the industry forward as pioneers,” he said. “… Our options, quite frankly, we are to launch a product, which we knew was not optimal, or wait six to nine months, and Resorts World, and we rightly believe, decided that ‘It was better to launch the product and then continue to improve it.

Stations believes the proposal violates federal law

The board has received some opposition to the proposal. Marc Rubinstein, a gaming attorney representing Station Casinos, said in a letter Tuesday that the working session should not be held on the matter because the changes would violate federal FinCEN regulations.

Rubinstein said casinos must document how they verify customers who come to their trading floor to bet. Because of this, he believes casinos statewide would be in potential violation if they were to follow the new rules.

In response, Sightline provided a letter from a Washington, DC law firm that has represented the company for more than a decade, which noted advice from federal casino officials that they can take advantage of “non-documentary proceedings.” To confirm identities.

Carleton noted that online-only banks are taking similar steps.

Share.

Comments are closed.