The winner of several awards, Pitso Mosimane, received the award for leadership in the sports sector. Photo: BackpagePix
Pitso Mosimane won another award.
Al Ahly’s head coach received a special honor at the Hollard Sport Industry Awards ceremony held virtually on Thursday.
The 57-year-old tactician was seconded for the ESPN Sports Business Leadership Award, which organizers said was awarded by peers in the country’s sports industry.
Since turning the Mamelodi Sundowns into a conquest club in the nearly eight years he spent with them, Mosimane has continued to be a collector of individual award series even as he plies his trade in A strange country.
In just over a year since being appointed coach of Al Ahly in Egypt, he has led the power of Cairo to five titles – two CAF Champions Leagues, the CAF Super Cup, the Egyptian Premier League, as well as the national cup.
Mosimane’s sports industry gong was among four special awards presented at the annual event that recognize the teams behind the sports sector teams.
ESPN provides breaking news in sports news, scores, highlights and commentary.
– SportIndustryGroupSA (@SportIndustrySA) 25 November 2021
Star swimmer Tatjana Schoenmaker, who won gold and silver in her breaststroke events at the Tokyo Olympics this year, took home the Sports Industry Personality of the Year award.
Another highlight was the recognition of legendary boxing referee and judge Stan Christodoulou, who received the Sports Excellence Award for his immense contribution to the local punching game.
“This year, we’re celebrating the brand owners, agencies and media owners who have inspired, entertained and kept us healthy at a time when we need it more than ever. We have seen so much wonderful inventiveness in the nominations this year – somehow we managed to hear the crowds cheering, even though there weren’t any in the stadiums, ”said Heidi Brauer, Marketing Director of Hollard.
She added: “Sincere congratulations to the deserving winners and to everyone who has played a role in keeping sports, brands and campaigns alive and entertaining during this truly strange and difficult time.”
All the winners
- Leadership in sport business award: Pitso Mosimane
- Sports Personality of the Year: Tatjana Schoenmaker
- Lifetime Sports Community Award: Gary Kirsten
- Excellence in Sport Award: Stan Christodoulou
- Active Prize and Wellness: Spar for Spar Virtual Women’s Challenge
- Audiovisual Content of the Year (long form): Walt Disney for ESPN Africa / Walt Disney Company Africa & 10th Street Media
- Audiovisual Content of the Year (short form): T&W for Lukhanyo Am
- Brand or Sponsor of the Year: Princess Sports for Brabo Hockey
- Campaign of the Year: Mscsports for Castle Lager #InOurBlood
- Communication of the Year Award: Levergy for Nedbank Breaking Barriers Race
- Cross-border prize: Basketball Africa League
- Event or competition sponsorship award: Mscsports for Castle Lager #InOurBlood
- Fan Engagement Award: Spar for Spar Women’s Challenge
- Social and environmental impact award: Team Qhubeka
- Virtual Event of the Year Award: Levergy for Nedbank Runified Breaking Barriers
- Agency of the Year Award: Mscsports
- Young agency of the year: Matchstick Creative