It’s safe to say that almost everyone associated with Casino Speedway – from track officials and drivers to fans – are more than ready for the 67th season of local track racing which kicks off this weekend.
A large number of cars – late models from WISSOTA, modifications, Midwestern modifications and street stocks and newcomers, late models and limited hornets – await the opening of the planned Mother’s Day season. at 6.30 p.m.
This will mark 53 weeks since the opening of the very unique 2020 season, with no fans in the stands in opening week and with other safety precautions everyone has had to deal with throughout the summer.
“We’re definitely ready to go,” said Todd Good, who, along with his wife Vicki, is entering his sixth summer as promoter of the 1/4 oval clay track established in 1955 near Kampeska Lake.
“We had an amazing auto show and Test N ‘Tune last week. I think it was the biggest crowd we’ve had in six years. People can’t wait to go out and start over. “
One of those things to do – at least most Sunday nights in the summer – will be watching the racing action at Casino Speedway.
This summer, an 18-program schedule includes its share of special events – The Casino Speedway Memorial on May 30, 9th Marilyn Olson Memorial on June 6, WISSOTA Race of Champions Qualifier on June 27, 11th USMTS Summer Slam on July 14 (Wednesday ), Steffes Street Stock Tour on July 25, RV Modified Tour Finals on August 15, Northern Outlaw Sprint Tour on August 28 (Saturday) and the Casino Speedway Season Championships on September 25.
Once again this year, the season will end with the fourth Fall Classic on Friday and Saturday, September 24 and 25.
The classic is one of the few times that all six car classes will race. Most programs will consist of five classes with the limited lates and hornets alternating on a weekly basis.
“Everything stays pretty much the same. We didn’t make any big changes, we just reduced the schedule a bit by taking off a few Sundays in July, ”said Good.
The biggest change – as mentioned above – is that the limitations of COVID-19 that have played out so much of the 2020 season aren’t as great.
Returning track champions include the late model driver Chad Becker of Aberdeen and modified driver Tyler Peterson of Hickson (ND), who have each won the last two titles of the season in their category. Mike Nichols of Watertown won his first modified Midwestern Championship last summer and Maria Broksieck of Goodwin won the street stock title for the second time in three years.
Admission for most events is $ 15 for adults and $ 5 for ages 8 to 13. Children 7 and under will be admitted free with a paying adult.
Additional information throughout the summer can be found by visiting www.casinospeedway.com. Results are posted weekly for Casino Speedway and other tracks around the area on myracepass.comr.
2021 Casino Speedway Calendar
• Sunday May 9 – Opening of the Mother’s Day season, 6.30 p.m.
• Sunday May 16 – Sunday evening Thunder points race, 6:30 p.m.
• Sunday 23 May – Sunday evening Thunder points race, 6:30 p.m.
• Sunday May 30 – The Casino Speedway memorial, 6.30 p.m.
• Sunday June 6 – 9th Marilyn Olson Memorial, 6:30 p.m.
• Sunday June 13 – Sunday evening Thunder points race, 6:30 p.m.
• Sunday June 20 – Father’s Day Ice Cream Night, 6.30 p.m.
• Sunday June 27 – WISSOTA Race of Champions Qualifier, 6.30 p.m.
• Sunday July 11 – the night of toys for toddlers, 6.30 p.m.
• Wednesday July 14 – 11th USMTS Summer Slam, 6.30 p.m.
• Sunday July 25 – Visit of Steffes Street Stock, 6.30 p.m.
• Sunday August 1st – Kids Night (Race of Champions Qualifier Rain Date), 6.30 p.m.
• Sunday August 8 – Sunday evening Thunder points race, 6:30 p.m.
• Sunday August 15th – Finals of the modified circuit in VR, 6.30 p.m.
• Sunday August 22 – Sunday evening Thunder points race, 6:30 p.m.
• Saturday August 28 – Nordic outlaw sprint circuit, 6.30 p.m.
• Sunday September 5th – Casino Speedway Season Championships, 6.30 p.m.
• Friday-Saturday, September 24-25 – 4th Fall Classic, 6.30 p.m. every evening.